Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Tamba Kayala Kura


Tamba Kayalu

Today I am coming with new recipe from my grand mother's kitchen. I am not sure how many of you have heard of a vegetable called TAMBA KAYALU. Now a days these are rarely available in the vegetable market and most of you might not know about this. My maid calls them SAMMAKAYALU.

When my son brought tamba kayalu from vegetable market, I was  little surprised to see them after a long gap of 20 to 25 years. I am having a habit of going to my flash back and want to share my flash back with my friends.

When we were in Bapatla during my childhood, this tamba kayala creeper crawled to the neem tree in our back yard. My father used to distribute to all our neighbours. One of the sweet memory about my father.

OK. Let us go to prepare tamba kayala kura

Ingredients
  • Tamba kayalu                           6no
  • Onion                                       2 nos finely chopped
  • Dry coconut
  • Dry red mirchi                          5
  • Garlic                                       5 to 6 flakes
  • Coriander seeds                       1 tbsp      
  • Turmeric powder
  • Salt to taste
For popu
  • Oil
  • Mustard seeds
  • Curry leaves
Boiled tamba kaya mukkalu

How I did it
  1. Wash tamba kayalu under running water.
  2. Remove top and tail, like how we did for beans and remove fiber( peechu) if any.
  3. Then cut into small pieces.
  4. Pressure cook them till 4 to 5 whistles.
  5. Mean time add dry coconut, dry red mirchi, garlic and daniyalu and grind into powder.
  6. Take a wok, add oil. Let it heat. Add mustard seeds, let them pop, then ad turmeric powder and chopped onions. Let them fry till becomes transferent.
  7. Add cooked and drained tamba kaya mukkalu and stir well for 5 minutes.
  8. Add salt and curry leaves. Mix and stir well for 3 minutes as after adding salt, curry releases very little water. Let water go off.
  9. Finally add grounded powder and stir well.
  10. Switch of the stove and transfer into a bowl.
  11. See the taste. 

It goes well with rice and good with roti also.

3 comments:

  1. I am from bapatla too. Great vegetarian blog to be followed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammakayalu ani Pilichevallam..! when my Ammamma Used to cook. Random thoughts & memories.

    thanks for the pics and Procedure.

    ReplyDelete