Monday, November 25, 2013

Gajar ka Halwa



Today I am coming with a delicious rich sweet - Gajar ka Halwa. I don't know why but in my blog there are lot of savories and curries and less number of sweets. Ofcourse I like hot snacks very much.  My son likes this Gajar ka halwa very much. I thought of preparing gajar ka halwa as Sunday Special.

Generally this humble root vegetable taken as boiled, cooked, steamed and put in juices soup etc. Many people like to have carrot juice which contain Vitamin A , B and E and many minerals. It improves eye sight also. This is used in skin creams and for its healing powers.

We can make this gajar halwa in 2 or 3 types depending on your preference. I can go for prepare on my own style which I learnt from my mother.

Let us go for prepare.

Ingredients
  • Gajar (grated)                            2 cups
  • Sugar                                         1/2 cup
  • Ghee                                          1/4 cup
  • Cardamom  powder                   pinch
  • Cashew nuts
  • Raisins
  • Pista                                                         
  • Sugarless  khoa                          2 or 3 tbsp
How I did it
  1. Wash, peel and coarsely grate the gajars. Measure it loosely but heaped.
  2. Take a wide pan and add ghee, let it heat on low flame.
  3. First add raisins, let them fry and remove them into a bowl. Then fry cashew nuts and pista and keep aside.
  4. Add the grated gajars into the pan and mix well.
  5. Stir in between, fry it for 8 to 10 minutes in ghee on low flame. See the colour changes into pale, orangey mush.
  6. By that time raw smell of gajar also goes off.
  7. Add sugar. Turn the flame into lowest setting.
  8. Stir well and cook till content gets together.
  9. Leave the vessel uncovered.
  10. Finally add sugerless khoa and mix well. By adding sugerless khoa it tastes good.
  11. Switch off the stove.
Gajar ka halwa is ready to serve. Take separate bowls, decorate with nuts and serve. Best combination with ice cream.

My Notes

  • Low heat and constant stirring is key to this dish success.
  • If you don't get sugarless khoe add kalakandh. You can get it in sweet shop and reduce the quantity of sugar.
  • Reduce the amount of sugar because gajar are naturally quite sweet. Fell free to adjust the sweet  depending on your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment