Monday, June 25, 2012

Uttapam

Today I want to share with you readers the delicious South Indian breakfast "Uttapam". It is made from rice and urad dal, a cousin of the lentil. It is a best breakfast and easy to make. My mother prepares regular dosas on the first day after the batter is prepared. She prepares Utappam with the same batter on the second day. I am also following same as my mother.

Ingredients for dosa batter
  • Rice                                               3 cups
  • Urad dal                                        1 cup
  • Methi seeds                                   1 tbsp
  • Salt to taste
Wash and soak rice, urad dal and methi seeds for 6 to 7 hours. Grind it in the wet grinder into soft batter.
Take it into big vessel and add salt and mix well. Dosa batter is ready for preparing uttapams.

Ingredients for preparing uttapam
  • Dosa batter                                     required quantity
  • Onion                                             chopped
  • Green mirchi                                   paste them
  • Curry leaves                                   chopped


How to prepare uttapams
  1. Take dosa batter add onion, green mirchi paste and curry leaves and mix it well.
  2. Heat dosa pan on medium heat ,apply/ spread 2 drops of oil on it.
  3. Pour dosa batter on the pan and pour 1 tbsp of oil around the uttapam roast it.
  4. Then turn the other side and again apply 1/2 tbsp of oil around uttapam and let it roast / cook.
      Remove it into serving plate and serve it with Idly podi, coconut chutney.
      My children likes to take with curd.

Note
I am having mini uttapam pan in my house. You can make 7 mini uttapams at a time. Children like this mini uttapams very much.

My tip
You can add tomato, grated carrots or capsicum also along with onion.

5 comments:

  1. I like the utappams and the utappam pan as well. you can serve atleast 2-3 people at a time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kusuma, Thank you for the recipe.
    Can you please tell me where I can get this uttapam pan online or is it available only in stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it from a shop in Himayat Nagar in Hyderabad. I suppose you should get in any steel shop where they sell non stick pans etc.

      Delete
  3. Looks tempting...Can you please share the details as to where one can buy the mini uttapam pan??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. I bought it from a shop in Himayat Nagar in Hyderabad. I suppose you should get in any steel shop where they sell non stick pans etc.

      Delete